Sunday, December 23, 2007

Cracked

The Sunday Skibby Spectacular was well attended this week, with about 8 people meeting at the Stone Arch Bridge and heading out along the Cedar Lake Trail. Skibby was in attendance preaching hate and epicness as expected, the Cullens were hammering the pace, Big Dave brought his promised doughnuts, and Homme even came out to do some on site investigation for BTDC. It didn't last long though, as a few miles into it my left crank arm cracked and started wobbling all over the place.

A bit crippled, I skittered one-footed across the ice and back to downtown, with Big Dave coming along to offer a hand and a ride when we returned to the bridge. I think he was also interested in having a good laugh, as the crank fell off completely before we made it to Washington Ave. and spent the remainder of the ride dangling from the pedal still attached to my foot. He even took a few pictures to document it all.

At least I was riding fixed. That made it a little easier.


It's generally a good idea to have the crank arm/pedal attached to both your foot AND the bike. One and not the other doesn't do you much good.


You should be on my bike, not my desk. Then again, you also should have a giant crack running through you.

I guess this is what I get for riding a clapped out piece of junk cobbled together with as many free parts as I could scrounge up. It was a good run, and now my right leg will be super strong.

As for the rest of the riders, I have no recourse except to assume that they will be found in a frozen, huddled mass sometime in March. Or maybe they'll make it back for coffee. Stay tuned to Jimmer's blog to find out for sure.

2 comments:

Skibby said...

we made it 30 miles, but Painman wins the hardman of the year award, he rode all by himself in the wind and snow back to Excelsior after spending an hour in the coffee shop in mpls. He said that he was busting 2 foot snowdrifts at Lake Minnetonka. AMAZING!!!

dg said...

It was humuorous to see the "Golden Boy" riding with a crank arm dangling from a shoe cleat but I think Skib sliding to a bridge abutment would have been equally as funny!
Good luck in Burnaby - tell Francis' hero that he'd better step it up.