Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Cleaning House

It's been some hard days of training and racing lately. The Madison of the Americas on Saturday, a crit on Sunday, a long ride in the hills on Monday, and motorpacing session yesterday morning. And then I decided to race the cat. 2 Super Tuesday series last night. I was feeling pretty gassed, but a hard block now, then two days of easy riding, some openers on Friday morning, and I should be flying for the 3-day in Detroit. So I kitted up, registered for the racing, and proceeded to rock the locals. It was sweet.

I attacked with just over a lap to go in the first race (Devil's Scratch Race, eliminate 10, then a 2 km scratch) and catch the poor guy who had attacked with 4 laps to go coming out of turn 4. Crossed the line with plenty of space and hands in the air.

Next was a 5 km points race. Again, I got away on the last lap and handily won the last sprint for second.

In the final omnium event, an absurdly short 2 km scratch. I rolled to the front on the second lap, move up the the rail, and check behind me. Even was just sitting on me wheel. A pack of about 25, and not one of them made a move past me for two slow laps at the rail. Talk about being the marked man. The race was only 6 laps long, and they were content to sit on me, going back in a big wedge, at the rail doing maybe 25 km/h, for two entire laps. Finally I got someone else to come through, started to sprint after a move had gone off, and still took fourth. Not too bad.

Omnium overall: 1st.

There was a 15 km scratch race feature at the end of the night. I lapped the field with 3 other guys, then played the sprint poorly at took third. Oh well, I'd still call this one a success.


No one would give me the time of day at the start of the evening. So I took JT's advice, let my legs do the talking, and made plenty of new friends by the end of the night. Take that, T-Town.

3 comments:

Alex Lacey said...

its cool that there are so many kiwis there. I hear the velodrome here in auckland is a bit like riding a roller coaster because it hasnt been worked on in about a decade and its made of concrete... good job on your races!

dthimsen said...

Brian,

It looks like you got 14 upgrade points for your quest to be Cat 1. Congratulations. Only 16 points more and you're there!

Unknown said...

See, I told you so :-)

(I still have my first 'envelope' somewhere under the piles in the office)